The Detroit Red Wings hold the longest active postseason streak in any league at 21 straight playoffs (2004-2005 had no postseason due to the lockout).
The last time they missed the playoffs was the 1989-1990 season. The Red Wings currently sit in 8th place and there is a real chance that they will miss the playoffs.
In that year, the Red Wings drafted future greats Nicklas Lidstrom, Sergei Fedorov, and Vladimir Konstantinov. This is what the world was like in 1990 when the Detroit Red Wings did not qualify for the postseason.
Music and Television
- The Simpsons aired their first episode on Fox.
- Home Alone was the top movie of 1990.
- “Hold On” by Wilson Phillips was the Billboard Hot 100 #1 song and Janet Jackson had the year’s top album.
- Beverly Hills 90210 and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air made their premieres.
- Seinfeld and Law and Order hit the screen for the first time.
Politics and Society
- The World Wide Web is created along with the first ever web browser and web pages.
- Sadaam Hussein orders Iraq to invade Kuwait.
- East and West Germany are reunited into Germany.
- The Hubble Space Telescope is sent into orbit.
- Mikhail Gorbachev is elected president of the Soviet Union which ended Communist Rule in Russia and the USSR.
- The Edmonton Oilers defeated the Boston Bruins 4-1 in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
- Wayne Gretzky won the Art Ross Trophy for as leading scorer for the Los Angeles Kings and Mark Messier won the Hart Trophy for the NHL’s Most Valuable Player for the Edmonton Oilers.
- The Cincinnati Reds swept the Oakland A’s in the World Series
- The Detroit Pistons won the second of their back to back NBA Championships in the “Bad Boys” Era.
- West Germany defeated Argentina 1-0 in the World Cup.